Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 1999 12:22:57 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Randall Senn <randall_senn@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, webmaster@linux.org, www@openbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unix vs unix-like and unix-type

On Friday,  5 February 1999 at 17:43:43 -0800, Randall Senn wrote:

> Dear Sirs:
>

>    While looking at pages for other than NT operating systems, I see
> that Linux and Open BSD are claimed to be UNIX -like, or UNIX-type,
> while FreeBSD is claimed to be UNIX.  It makes me wonder if Open BSD
> is indeed also UNIX-like?  Is it?  (And what makes it UNIX instead
> of UNIX-like anyway?)

That depends on what you're talking about :-)

  UNIX is a trade mark of AT&T.  Oh, no, they sold it to Univel.
  Wait, Univel became part of Novell.  Hmm, Novell sold the product to
  SCO.  Ah, but SCO gave the name to the Open Group.

If we look at this question of ownership, none of the free operating
systems are UNIX.

  The Open Group introduced certification.  UNIX 95.  UNIX 98.
  Anybody who wanted to provide a minimum of UNIX-like functionality
  and a lot of money could have their product branded UNIX.  Or was
  that 95% UNIX?

If we look at the question of certification, IBM's mainframe OS/390 is
UNIX.  Microsoft's "NT" environment is UNIX.  None of the free
operating systems are UNIX.

  UNIX was originally a research project within AT&T's Bell
  Laboratories.  It was taken up both commercially (System V) and by
  universities, particularly the University of California at
  Berkeley.  UCB had a very strong influence on UNIX, and all current
  versions of UNIX contain UCB code.  They called their software the
  Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD).

If we look at the question of origin, FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD are
UNIX.  Linux is UNIX-like.  I find "UNIX-type" a rather funny
description, but obviously it's valid.

Greg