Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:40:03 GMT
From:      Andy Kosela <akosela@andykosela.com>
To:        freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: standards/137173: `uname -n` incorrect behavior

The following reply was made to PR standards/137173; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Andy Kosela <akosela@andykosela.com>
To: wollman@csail.mit.edu
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:17:29 +0200

 Garrett Wollman <wollman@csail.mit.edu> wrote:

 > <<On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 13:26:24 GMT, Andy Kosela <akosela@andykosela.com> said:
 >
 > > Currently `uname -n` prints the name of the system (FQDN) to standard output.  I believe this is incorrect behavior according to IEEE Std 1003.1.
 >
 > > -n
 > >     Write the name of this node within an implementation-defined communications network.
 >
 > What makes you think that the behavior of "uname -n" does not match
 > this description?

 Hi Garrett,

 All UNIX systems I got access to prints only hostname without the domain
 information (same as 'hostname -s').  Is this some historical
 peculiarity of FreeBSD?  I see it uses KERN_HOSTNAME which is indeed
 FQDN.  On top of that common sense tells me that "node within an
 implementation-defined communications network" is just a node name, and
 not a full domain name information.  What you think?

 --Andy