Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 04:29:53 -0400
From:      parv@subdimension.com
To:        Tony Sim <y2s82@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help..

would you please type your reply either beneath or intermingled w/
another reply, not above it?

in message <F117Y1SWoBDyseVwrbl0000008a@hotmail.com>,
wrote Tony Sim thusly...

> ahhh  switch to NetBSD?  is that as good as FreeBSD?

well, for one thing it does support card bus in its own stable
branch.  it also runs on many many more different platforms/hardware
which may or may not matter much.

> i really wanted to use FreeBSD...

for card bus support run the -current branch, or get an old style NIC
for -stable branch, as said earlier.  see the *handbook* for
comparison somewhere on freebsd site...

http://www.freebsd.org/

> i can't find the port that i just installed~  (i did up to "make
> install"...  and it seems to have done the job, but i can't find
> it... it was gview for X windows

during the installation process, messages are generated (by default)
which indicate where the files are being installed and how.

a port's information is stored in /var/db/pkg (by default). see
man(1), ports(7), pkg_info(1) man pages for more information.

    ,----  brief introduction to man ----
  /
  | "(<number>)" refers to a particular man page section.
  | in above case, you would run 3 separate commands ...
  |
  |  man 1 man
  |
  |  man 7 ports
  |
  |  man 1 pkg_info

  `---  brief introduction to man ----

for now, you could do...

  pkg_info -L -x gview | egrep -v '^$|^(Info.+|Files):$'

...to see the installed file list.

programs/commands are stored in "bin" directory.  see hier(7) for
more information.  in addition, buy a decent book which introduces
Unix; search google...

http://www.google.com

...for "unix introduction newbie" or similar terms for on-line
material.

> where is this thing T_T)

(what the hell is that "T_T" that you write?)

> and my sound card isn' recongnized...  why~~

(and those "~~"?)

> i went through so much to get my ati display adapter to be
> recognized... but i can't even find the place to configure for
> sound~

that would be in the kernel; info related to that is also available
thru the freebsd handbook.

> sorry to give you guys all the burdens that i should probably
> solve on my own

well, that's one way to learn about anything.  don't despair, you
would solve the problems on your own ... eventually.

> T_T

(there it is again.)

> but where did i go wrong~

perhaps diving in too fast w/o the background & preparation, and/or
having unrealistic expectations about software/hardware
configuration?

  - parv