Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 08:52:57 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Arisandy <sandy@divre5.telkom.co.id>, Question-Freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Database?

On Mon, 22 Jun 1998 at 09:46 SAT, Arisandy wrote:

> I like to install database server....to publish on  web via apache+php
> which database server is best for that ? mysql or postgress or others?

MiniSQL, MySQL and Postgres should all do the job.  PHP talks to all three.

MiniSQL is minimalist, which makes it ideal for small jobs...  which most
Web-based databases turn out to be.  MySQL is a very mature package, though
also a bit on the minimalist side.  Postgres has a ways to go to be as mature
and stable, but will probably outstrip the others in terms of fucntionality,
eventually.

All the above IMHO.

MiniSQL and MySQL have restrictive quasi-commercial licensing schemes.
Postgres is free.

> where can I find ODBC driver for windows in postgress database server :)

http://www.postgresql.org/

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878