Date:      Sat, 8 Feb 2003 13:17:36 -0500
From:      Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   gcc-3.2.1 and c++ headers

  In trying to compile the most recent native jdk-1.4.1, I noticed
that compiling with the <iostream.h> header didn't work.

// ** won't link **
#include <iostream.h>

// ** works **
// #include <backward/iostream.h>

// ** works **
// #include <iostream>
// using namespace std;

int main(){
  return 1;
}
void xxx (ostream& os) {
  os << ' ';
  os << "out\n";
}

  This code will compile on 4.7-stable (gcc-2.95), and on
debian/linux (gcc-3.2.2) with a #warning.

  I am aware that the <$HEADER.h> includes are deprecated, but is
there any intent to allow the deprecated headers to work with
the system compiler (gcc-3.2.1), or should any affected apps
be considered broken (on 5.0-current)?

thanks.
  brent

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman