Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 11:59:00 -0500
From:      "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>
To:        Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
Cc:        "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>, dwcjr@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: samba-2.2.3a - configuration options interactive script

> Postfix works in the same way mod_php4 works - and I didn't like it, because a
> "make clean" removes the "Makefile.inc" which stores the configuration the
> administrator made.

That's a simple thing to remove, but it must remove the Makefile.inc
upon make clean.  If that's going to be a problem, you may want to
bring that up with PORTMGR

> I'm searching for a way to keep the configuration file over a "make clean" - maybe
> till new options in the dialog system appear. I like the functionality of "portupgrade",
> but updating many ports which have a menu system is confusing ...
> Sometimes it's difficult to remember, which server/workstation was compiled using
> which options ...
>
> Postfix do the same way...

This appears to be the standard, so we'll have to bring portmgr into
this if this is a problem for you.

> > > 3) Should the script check (checkable) misconfigurations, or is the admin every time
> > >    smart enough?
> >
> > what kind of misconfigurations would it detect?  What I've been told
> > in the past is to let the admin shoot themselves in the foot if they
> > wish but this attitude may have changed.
>
> I did not know. It was a question like: "If I find some ways to let the admin shoot it's foot,
> should I sell some bullet-proofed socks?" But I understand - learning by doing - learning more
> doing wrong :-)

It comes down to why should we tell the admin what that person can
and cannot do.

--
David W. Chapman Jr.
dwcjr@inethouston.net	Raintree Network Services, Inc. <www.inethouston.net>