Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:24:07 -0600
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@ub.edu.bz>
To:        Darryl Hoar <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Firewall & DSL performance

--O3RTKUHj+75w1tg5

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 08:10:05AM -0600, Darryl Hoar wrote:
> Well,
> last night I changed the ipf.rules file to be:
>=20
> pass in all  keep state
> pass out all keep state
>=20
> to completely open my firewall to test my performance.
>=20
> Well, it didn't make a lick of difference.  Still got
> 700K.
>=20
> If I open the firewall like I did, shouldn't performance
> be a non issue ?
>=20
> thanks,
> Darryl=20

I wouldn't rule out the inside network card.  I recently noticed
something similar here and it turned out that, though a particular
network card worked on the whole, it's performace was inexplicable
miserable.  We swapped out the cheap SiS card with a good 3Com card and
the problem was solved.  Is there any way that you could get ahold of
another NIC to test?

Nathan
--=20
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys D8527E49

--O3RTKUHj+75w1tg5

--O3RTKUHj+75w1tg5--