Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 1996 12:22:19 +0200 (EET)
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
To:        Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Decision in Router Purchase

From: Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
   We use a variety of sync serial cards.  The ET card is an old design,
   takes up two ISA slots (one for each port), and has other problems.
   The SDL Communications cards (N2d, N2pci) are better hardware.

   The problem with the SDL cards is the lack of FreeBSD drivers.  There
   is a driver for the N2d but not for the N2pci.  The ET driver software
   suppports more protocols and some degree of compression.

Digi/Arnet 570i works with FreeBSD using the driver in -current.  We have
>10 boards in production with variety of hardware around them, oldest one
is about 1 year old.  The quality seems to be good, no failed units and
quirks.

I think SDL driver is similar or same, as both author and hardware are
similar.

   So generally SDL wins on the hardware side and ET on the software
   side.  We prefer SDL but are not happy with the lack of software
   support.

   --
   Jim Dixon                  VBCnet GB Ltd           http://www.vbc.net
   tel +44 117 929 1316                             fax +44 117 927 2015

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND, hsu@clinet.fi
mobile +358-40-5519679 work +358-9-43542270 fax -4555276