Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:32:21 -0400
From:      "Dave [Hawk-Systems]" <dave@hawk-systems.com>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: dump directly to remote HDD over ssh <-- take it up a notch

<continuing thread>
>this works for me (sorry no datestamp):
>
>dump -0uf - / | bzip2 | ssh user@box.domain.com dd of=/pathto/file.bz

ok, how about this...

to ensure that we don't get too many servers trying to back up to the big
archive server at once, we want to run a script from the controller server...

#!/bin/sh
ssh server1 "dump -3uf - /usr | ssh big_backup_server dd
of=/backups/server1.usr.dump"
ssh server1 "dump -3uf - / | ssh big_backup_server dd
of=/backups/server1.root.dump"
ssh server2 "dump -3uf - /usr | ssh big_backup_server dd
of=/backups/server2.usr.dump"
ssh server2 "dump -3uf - / | ssh big_backup_server dd
of=/backups/server2.root.dump"

running it in this way should ensure that each dump completes before the next
one is started, keeping them stacked, but not overlaying each other and
effectively DOSing the box with all that data, correct?

thanks for this and the verification on the previous

Dave