Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 1997 10:45:46 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount -o async on a news servre

J Wunsch stands accused of saying:

> You simply can't do this.  Either, the drive reports a medium size, or
> it doesn't.  If it doesn't, you're at wits end: the drive could
> support differently sized media as well, so you can't even guess which
> one Terry will insert next. ;-)

... which is the case with the Jaz; you can get 512M and 1GB disks.

> > 	(ncr0:1:0): "iomega jaz 1GB G.60" type 0 removable SCSI 2
> > 	sd1(ncr0:1:0): Direct-Access
> > 	sd1(ncr0:1:0): FAST SCSI-2 100ns (10 Mb/sec) offset 8.
> >
> > 	sd1(ncr0:1:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
>
> This one might be a FreeBSD driver problem.  You can compile your
> kernel with SCSIDEBUG enabled, to learn which SCSI command triggered
> that problem.

No, I don't think so.

> > 	sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
> >
> > 	sd1(ncr0:1:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present
> > 	sd1: could not get size
> > 	0MB (0 512 byte sectors)
> >
> > However, I doubt if this is JAZ specific; it seems more related to it
> > being removable than anything else.
> >
> > (yes, the drive was spun up at the time, so you can't blame that).
>
> The drive was not read.  It claimed the medium being not present.  How
> should the driver know that there really was a medium in the drive, if
> it claims wrong?  (FreeBSD had a problem with devices saying ``Device
> is in the process of becoming ready'', but i fixed this recently.)

Actually, Terry is lying.  Those boot messages come from a Jaz with no disk
inserted.  Here's a Jaz with a disk in :

lovely /kernel: (ncr0:6:0): "iomega jaz 1GB H.62" type 0 removable SCSI 2
lovely /kernel: sd6(ncr0:6:0): Direct-Access
lovely /kernel: sd6(ncr0:6:0): 10.0 MB/s (100 ns, offset 8)
lovely /kernel: sd6(ncr0:6:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in CDB
lovely /kernel: sd6 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious geometry
lovely /kernel: 1021MB (2091050 512 byte sectors)

And the error is "I refuse to give you mode page 4", which is the
"rigid disk geometry page", ie. the page where most disk lie outrageously
about their supposed c/h/s geometry.

> I'm afraid you gotta wait for SCSI-4 for this to happen.  AFAIK, the
> drive doesn't start a transaction on the bus if you press the eject
> button, saying ``Terry wishes to eject my cartridge right now''. :-)
> So the system couldn't know, even at best willingness.

Correct; if the drive is mounted, it will have been locked.  There's no
way for a locked drive to singal its desire to be unlocked.