Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 06:16:52 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Got past installworld, new problems however [WASRe: make installworld fails with mergemaster errors - 4.4Rel upgrade to 4.6 Stable]

7/24/2002 4:06:16 AM, <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

>Hello Brian,
>     Thanks for the reply.
>
>As I'm actually still going through bringing the up to a "usable state",
the
>disappeared user accounts are not too much of a problem at the
moment. Its the
>lack of authentication for root login I'm really concerned with on this
point!

>I'll take a look at XFree86Config and check for anything untoward. I've
not used
>ktrace, nor kdump before. Are they used in the same way as truss?
>
>However, as I do intend on upgrading XFree86 to XFree86-4.2.1
today, would it be
>more effective to re-install (remove > install latest version), or simply
>upgrade the current version (via portupgrade)?
>
>ps waux - show process report, [-a: include all process with a tty
session] +
>[-u:  report user ID for each process listed] + [-w: show wide output]
>
>So, seeing that apache is configured to start on bootup, I would have
expected
>to see a process called httpd running with variou runtime options listed
in the
>returned process table - which of course, I don't.
>
>I really am hoping that I could aviod having the reinstall FBSD again
here. This
>install's taken well over two days of debugging already:-
>
>initial install took the default XFree86-3.3.6x (didn't want that)
>The box hung at installation when I included gnome desktop (hence
only
>XFree86-4.0.2 installed this time around)
>

>Well., thanks again for taking the time, Brian. Hope that what I've
included
>here lights a few bulbs in a few peoples' heads before too long.
>
>Stacey
>
>Quoting "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>:
>
>> On Wednesday 24 July 2002 03:40 am, sroberts@dsl.pipex.com
wrote:
>> | Hi Doug,
>> |    Thanks for getting back to me. I actually got around that problem
>> in the
>> | end.
>> |
>> | However upon completing the upgrade, I noticed a couple of things:
>> |
>> | 1] startx has stopped working (just XFree86-4.0.2 from the 4.4 CD
Set,
>> no
>> | gnome of kde installed as yet)
>>
>> Hard to say.  Does /etc/X11/XFree86Config look like it always did?
>> Might want to ktrace/kdump and see what it's really calling.
>>
>> | typing "startx" for any user just sits there doing nothing (after 5
>> mins or
>> | so I killed it with cttrl c)
>> |
>> | 2] All user account except that for root disappeared.
>>
>> Something went wrong with mergemaster.  Perhaps you installed
when you
>> should
>> have merged.  (Or perhaps the problem is with the weird make stuff
you
>> cite
>> below.  I don't believe that I ever did anything of the sort and things
>> worked ok for me.)
>>
>> Regardless, the solution is simple:
>> Restore your /etc/passwd /etc/master.passwd from backup.
>>
>> | 3] During bootup apache failed with "unable to find my FQDN".
After
>> login
>> | (as root) "ps waux | grep httpd" returns nothing.
>>
>> Sorry, that's Greek to me.
>>
>> | 4] The box does not ask me to enter a password when logging in as
root
>> on
>> | the console
>>
>> See [2] above.

Sounds like (after taking Brian's advice) you may want to do
/stand/sysinstall (as root) and choose the option to add users.  Check
the www group in /etc/groups after you do this to add anyone you want
to be able to use Apache.  Apache is looking for your "fully qualified
domain name" - I'd look in /etc/hosts to see if you need to add back
anything there that may have been lost in the upgrade.

Re startx, after you have a look at the X11 config and get your users
straightened out, you'll want to reinstall wrapper from X11 ports.  Oh,
and BTW, do you still have .xinitrc files in root and $HOME?

Jud