Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 20:02:04 -0500
From:      "Mike Avery" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>
To:        Doug <doemill@shocking.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fixed! | Re: IDE Disk/Controller dead?

On 10 Jul 99, at 17:22, Doug wrote:

> Bummer! Well, Im glad i bought the 500mb ide drive off of ebay for $20
> bucks, man I hope that new drive works, because im all outa $$ ide have
> liked to use the 100mb drive for swap also... thanks for your help man.

Drives don't like to be moved... and any time you buy a used drive,
you're buying a pig in a poke.  How was the drive used?  If it was my
dad's drive, it was hardly used and you can buy it in good faith.  If it
was bought from an ISP.... well... there's a real chance it was used in
a news server or other high demand situation and the bits have been
scraped off the platters (just a figure of speech, unless the heads
crashed, but the servos that move the heads, and the bearings can
wear out).

All in all... wait for a sale at a "super store".  Best Buy just sold 8.4
gig Maxtor drives for $84.00.  That was almost 17 times the
capacity at just over 4 times the price compared to what you
bought.  And the drive has a new drive warranty.  Probably 3 or 5
years.  (I've always had good luck with Maxtor.... and haven't heard
ugly stores about them.)

I'd rather wait and get a drive I can rely on... especially if money is
tight and replacement is not an option.

Good luck,
Mike

Mike Avery                            MAvery@mail.otherwhen.com
                                          (409)-842-2942 (work)
                                                  ICQ: 16241692

* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day:
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike...