Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 10:34:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.tera.com>
To:        fpawlak@execpc.com (Frank Pawlak)
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD A Solution For Business

According to Frank Pawlak:
> Volunteers needed!!!
>
> First, marketing FreeBSD.  The finished product will be aimed at product
> managers in the commercial software development world with the intent of
> raising the visability of FreeBSD and presenting reasons to look at FreeBSD as
> a solid development platform.

	You've been an economist for decades, Frank.  Your savvy
	would fit in well here.

> Second, publication.  This document could serve as a kick start bases for
> magazine articles aimed at business professionals that make decisions as to
> what gets included as a strategic platform in their IS shops.
>
> I would suggest that we take the high road in doing this, and not make it a BSD
> vs Linux gun fight. We should do it with the idea in mind that any OS other
> than FreeBSD is a competitor, but sell FreeBSD only on its' own merits.  In
> other words we are a class act.

	Agree.  Not only (not)FBSD against Linux, but similar not
	opposed to MS or Apple or the other BSD.  A major plus on
	FBSD's side is that, given our compat library suites we work
	with virtually all the other flavors of Unix: Linux, SCO,
	BSDi.  And plugging in a Win* emu-port (e.g. WINE) even Windows
	apps should run.

	((
	  It occured to me yesterday that most non-business consumers
	  would ask, "Can this pre-configured FreeBSD run my kiddie's
	  CD educational app for Windows??"

	  Prob'ly not.  But this may be a strength for corporations
	  who buy workstation computers to enhance their people-power.
	  The productivity of their workforce.

	  Given that a pre-configured system could be accomplished,
	  it would have all the applications necessary to help workers
	  get their jobs done.  It would have exceptional networking.
	  It would not be laden with games, toys, diversions.
	))

> There are any number of ways that we can approach this project.  Jordan has
> made the suggestion that each volunteer produce a document of their own and
> then we can pick the 4 or 5 best and blend them into the final product.  I
> think this is a good suggestion and a workable idea.  However, I would like to
> propose a counter idea to this, that would more readily leverage the collective
> knowledge base and reduce the work load of each volunteer in producing a final
> document.  My thinking in this is that some people can write, others write
> extremely well others have deep technical knowledge of FreeBSD.  If we could
> combine all individual areas of expertise into one common working document we
> maybe able to reach our goals faster and easier.  This could be facilitated
> using a cut and paste method by a document maintainer - me, I have the Excedren
> bottle near by ;-)
>
> To that end I have below a rough outline of document content to start off this
> effort, subject to group revision and approval.

	[[ ... ]]

	Why don't you (or you and the `list') come up with, say, a
	dozen document topics  for people to ponder?  This may be
	the basis for a genuine enterprise.

	gary