Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 07:24:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Alex Rousskov <rousskov@measurement-factory.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quick question about IP aliasing

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> if you do care about this, you may want to restructure the data structure
> used to store/match interface addresses. At the moment it is a linear list,
> so the matching of incoming packets is probably Very Time Comsuming!

We have a patch (posted to this list long time ago) that optimizes the
lookup for incoming packets:
 http://polygraph.ircache.net/Tips/FreeBSD-3.3/ip_addr_hash.patch

You are right that an unpatched kernel cannot handle more than ~500
aliases efficiently:
 http://www.ircache.net/~wessels/Junk/aliases/

Alex.