Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 2002 07:33:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Martin F. Melhus" <aeronaut6@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Install question - video problem

Greetings,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD as the only OS on an inexpensive
PC that I was given.  I managed to install the basic stuff, and
had FreeBSD running in a text mode, where I could login, and
do simple *nix stuff like ls and df (probably more, I didn't
test too far.)  But when I try to set up Xwindows, the video
setup leaves me with a gray screen with a black bar that moves
around as I push the arrow keys.

The machine is a PowerSpec 4310, with a Celeron 333 MHz processor,
66 MHz bus, 96 Meg memory (8 Mb used for video.)  The motherboard
and/or chipset is made by SiS, and the video and audio are onboard.
I suspect that this is the heart of the problem.  3.2 Gig Maxtor HD,
Castlewood ORB drive for backups (don't care if this is unsupported,
I'll just unplug it.)  CD-ROM and floppy.  Installing FreeBSD from
the CD.

Does anyone know of any good resources to find a fix for this
(besides this list, of course?)  Or how I can solve the problem
directly?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Martin F. Melhus