Date:      Sat, 5 Sep 1998 14:16:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <bero@microsoft.sucks.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: securetty?

	There is a way, but why would you want to do that? It is very VERY
insecure. Anyone with a computer on your network can find out your root
password this way by simply sniffing your traffic (yes, even if you telnet
in as a user and then su(1) to root one can also sniff both user
and root passwords). Please consider using SSH which can be found at
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/unix/security/login/ssh/ instead of telnet. After
all, you don't all world to know your root password, right? :)

-- Yan

I don't have the password    + Jan Koum
But the path is chainlinked  | Spelled Jan, pronounced Yan. There.
So if you've got the time    | Web: http://www.best.com/~jkb
Set the tone to sync         + OS: http://www.FreeBSD.org