Date:      Thu, 06 Jul 2000 18:25:57 +0000
From:      "Mark S. Reichman" <reichman@twcny.rr.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tun0 and DHCP firewall configuration

I setup a a firewall using this tutorial.

http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/dialup-firewall/index.html

The tutorial is specifically for ppp.  However, I have a cable
modem/DHCP. So, I left this part out (?)

    ppp_enable="YES"
    ppp_mode="auto"
    ppp_nat="YES"
    ppp_profile="profile"

The ipfw rules file accompanying this tutorial
has many references to tun0.
During boot, ipfw is initialized.  I get this message many times:

ipfw: warning: tun0 does not exist.

I do have tun0 in my /dev dir and it is compiled in my
kernel.  I am running 4.0 stable. I heard tun0 has
something to do with ppp only?  Give me a pointer, please,
on how to get this firewall up using DHCP.

                            Thanks..

mark@slugo:/dev:> ls -la tun*
crw-------   1 uucp     dialer    52,   0 Jul  5 17:49 tun0
crw-------   1 uucp     dialer    52,   1 Jul  5 17:49 tun1