Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:50:35 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        gummibear@we.mediaone.net, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My trials with FreeBSD (a positive story)

At 10:49 PM 9/15/98 -0700, gummibear@we.mediaone.net wrote:
>Hmmm...now I want to see if I can set up my machine to be a server of some
>sort.  I'm thinking I want to start servering/trading mp3's  or something.

You might want to watch out with this. It's against some cable modem
companies' user terms of service. If you do run a server, try to make sure
it isn't super-busy, since that could bring the cable modem company's
attention to your server. besides, cable modems are fast for downloading,
but uploading is much slower.

>Just to have fun with.  I get a dynamic IP so I don't know if I can get it
>registered on ml.org but who knows? :)  Anyone ever try this?

someone already posted that you can get a something.dyn.ml.org listing. i
had this for a while. there are some shell scripts which work with FreeBSD,
but the one I used had you put your IP on the command line. search the
-questions archives for a nice shell script to grab your IP (not written by
me).

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com ludwigp@chipweb.ml.org
ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org