Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 21:49:24 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TrueType fonts

on Jul 17 18:10, i got this from j...
> I have been trying to follow the Daemonnews article from last November.
> I also installed the webfonts port.  I copied the webfonts to the TrueType
> directory and ran ttmkfdir > fonts.dir in each...

i didn't need to run ttmkfdir, the webfonts port took care of that...

> ...I installed xfstt, ofcourse.

may be needed if you are not running at least XFree86 v4.0.3. i am
running v4.1 and can get 'webfonts' in netscape w/o xfstt.

> According to 'top' it is running.

after ktrace'ing, i had to chmod xfstt to 4755. otherwise it was
failing while 'creating font database' in an attempt to write to
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType. and that directory is owned by
root:wheel. of course.

the 'font database' that xfstt creates are 2 binary files: ttinfo.dir,
ttname.dir. on the other hand, ttmkfdir produces text (files).

> I thought maybe it wouldn't show
> up because I have a 800x600 laptop display, but the fonts don't even show up
> in the list for Netscape, and according to the webfonts port, netscape is
> supposed to see them.

considering everything went okay w/ webfonts installation, then
netscape will/should, list the fonts... see below...

> Can somebody help?
>
> local:~> cat .xinitrc
> xset m 3.75 1
> xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/webfonts
> xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
> xset fp rehash
> exec /usr/local/bin/bbkeys -i&
> exec /usr/X11R6/bin/blackbox
>
> my relevant Xf86Config:
>
> Section "Files"
>    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local"
>    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
>    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
>    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW"
> #   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/webfonts"
> #   FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
>    FontPath   "/usr/local/applix/axfonts/all_pcf"
> EndSection
>
> Oddly enough, I had to comment out the 2 lines above because X complained it
> couldn't find them.  How could this be?

as somebody else pointed out, xfstt needs FontPath to be "unix/:7101".

anyway, after you 're in a xterm, if this...

# xset q | grep -i font

...doesn't list 'webfonts', then you will not be getting the fonts in
netscape, or anywhere else. if you can get 'xset q' to show the
'webfonts', then it shouldn't be too hard to keep the font path in
XF86Config file.

- parv