Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:25:17 -0400
From:      Ean Kingston <ean@hedron.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Postfix on BSD

On June 16, 2005 12:06 pm, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> On Jun 16, 2005, at 12:00 PM, Ean Kingston wrote:
> > On June 16, 2005 11:54 am, Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> >> Probably off-topic, but it's a sysadmin question that maybe someone on
> >> the list could send a quick blurb answer about :-/
> >>
> >> I'm trying to filter some mail coming into Postfix based on the body
> >> content.  I have the line
> >>
> >> body_checks = regexp:/usr/local/etc/postfix/body_checks
> >>
> >> in main.cf.  The file contains:
> >> ********
> >> # Will this stop RR collateral damage messages?
> >> /^* This e-mail was sent from a Road Runner IP address. As part of our
> >> continuing initiative to stop the spread of malicious viruses, Road
> >> Runner scans all outbound e-mail attachments./       REJECT Possible
> >> automated RoadRunner mail scanning collateral damage. Eliminate the
> >> notifying text and resend message.
> >>
> >> # Borrowed check lines
> >> /^This e-mail, in its original form, contained one or more attached
> >> files that were infected with a virus, worm,/ REJECT Email reporting
> >> virus detected
> >> /^This e-mail in its original form contained one or more attached
> >> files
> >> that were infected with the / REJECT Email reporting virus detected
> >> **********
> >>
> >> The files are owned root, wheel with rwrr, so it should be readable by
> >> the postfix processes.  I do a "postfix reload", send an email from
> >> the
> >> Internet to this mail server containing the key phrase(s), and they
> >> seem to go right through!  Am I missing something?
> >
> > Yes you are missing something. Postfix does not do multi-line
> > expression
> > matching.
>
> Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but the lines wrapped in the email and
> are one line each in the actual configuration file.

Postfix scans the body of the email message one line at a time. Your
expressions have  more text that would usually go on a  single line in an
email.

--
Ean Kingston

E-Mail: ean AT hedron DOT org
I am currently looking for work. If you need competent system/network
administration please feel free to contact me directly.