Date:      Sat, 6 Aug 2005 13:29:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Joe <josepha48@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   named / bind 9 and port 63548

Hello,

    I'm running bind, under FreeBSD.  Its bind 9.  I just
started noticing a udp port being used, port 63548.

    udp4       0      0  *.63548                *.*

    I then ran tcpdump on that port, and it seems that it is
being used for dns queries.

    I'm not a named expert, and have not seen anything in the
man pages or elsewhere that would indicate why bind would need
ports, 53, 953, and then this high port.

    Is this normal?

Thanks,
Joe

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs