Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2014 16:25:12 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@freebsd.org>, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@felyko.com>, David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: warning: filename ends with '.', which is not allowed on Windows: 'tools/test/sort/bigtest/q-1.024.003.'

On Mar 7, 2014, at 4:12 PM, Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com> wrote:

> On 7 March 2014 13:50, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@felyko.com> wrote:
>> On 7 Mar 2014, at 10:38, David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>=20
>>> On 7 Mar 2014, at 16:41, Rui Paulo <rpaulo@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>>=20
>>>=20
>>> Yes, definitely.  Building FreeBSD on other platforms is one of the =
requests we get very often from embedded systems vendors.  Cheap =
virtualisation has made it less urgent (they can just stick a FreeBSD =
VirtualBox VM on their workstations), but it's definitely something we'd =
like eventually.  To my knowledge, no one is working on it, but we =
should aim to make life easy for whoever does...
>>=20
>> I guess I should clarify: I wasn=92t talking about cross building in =
general, but specifically on Windows.  It=92s far easier to setup a =
case-sensitive file system on OS X and cross build FreeBSD from there =
than it is on Windows.
>=20
> Over 50% of the people that come to FreeBSD.org run windows.  If it is
> possible to support building on windows, we should try.

The big issue isn=92t case sensitivity or file names ending in dot. The =
real issue is that our build just isn=92t setup for this at the moment =
and it would be a big lift to make it work at all. Sure, go ahead and =
fix this minor flea-bite of an issue, but there are several large =
elephant-sized issues before we could have even a tiny chance of doing =
this...

Warner