Date:      Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:50:51 -0400
From:      Derek Buttineau <derek@csolve.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS and File Over Write Performance

Just curious if anyone has run into this before.  We are testing an HP
DL380 G5 Storage Server.  The odd thing I'm experiencing is when over
writing a file on the NFS share with the FreeBSD NFS client my
transfer speed is about 1/3 of what it is if I'm creating a new file
on the share.  This is all over a 1Gb link and I'm using clpbar to
monitor speeds on the copy.

 From my tests, initial file creation gets me about 89MB/s, while
overwriting gets me about 25MB/s

The same test using RHEL4 as the client gives a consistent 79MB/s for
creation and overwrite.

Seems very strange and I've tested from FreeBSD 6.2, 6.3 and 7.0, all
with the same results.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Derek