Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2014 03:42:35 -0400
From:      mikej <mikej@mikej.com>
To:        <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: =?UTF-8?Q?ffs=5Ffsync=3A=20dirty?=

On 2014-02-24 18:25, Kirk McKusick wrote:
>> Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 16:56:37 -0500 (EST)
>> From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
>> To: mikej <mikej@mikej.com>
>> Subject: Re: ffs_fsync: dirty
>> Cc: freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
>>
>> On Sun, 23 Feb 2014, mikej wrote:
>>
>>> FreeBSD custom 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #0 r261885: Fri
>>> Feb 14
>>> 08:51:48 EST 2014     mikej@custom:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
>>> amd64
>>>
>>> I get a bunch of these while running poudriere.
>>>
>>> ffs_fsync: dirty
>>> 0xfffff808e200e3b0: tag ufs, type VDIR
>>>    usecount 1, writecount 0, refcount 8 mountedhere 0
>>>    flags (VI_ACTIVE)
>>>    v_object 0xfffff8039e934300 ref 0 pages 38 cleanbuf 1 dirtybuf 4
>>>    lock type ufs: EXCL by thread 0xfffff8021bf72920 (pid 48820,
>>> cpdup, tid
>>> 100292)
>>>        ino 1527731, on dev mfid0p2
>>
>> That is a potentially interesting violation caught by INVARIANTS.  I
>> don't
>> think I have time to investigate right now, though.
>>
>> -Ben
>
> The above output is rather vexing, but its only bad effect is to
> waste
> a bit of memory. Several of us (kib, jeff, and myself) have tried to
> track it down without success. Hopefully we will get it sorted out
> before
> too much longer. But other more pressing problems keep this one on
> the
> back burner.
>
> 	Kirk McKusick

All,

In an effort of full disclosure I poked around and found we had set
vfs.hirunningspace to 3MB with a note for the change because
processes were blocking on WSWBUF. After reverting this back to
default 16777216 the errors have disappeared however processes
block again.

Note, this sysctl is mentioned in the freebsd tuning guide.

Hopefully this gives you some additional insight into the issue.

Regards,
Michael Jung