Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 11:14:22 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
Cc:        Andrew Johns <johnsa@kpi.com.au>, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   General Rate-limiting in syslog(3) (was: Limiting closed port RST response from 381 to 200 p)

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

Branching off the topic here...

On Mon Apr 15, 2002 at 04:51:51PM +0200, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>=20
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2002 00:20:01 +1000, Andrew Johns wrote:
>=20
> > Actually Sheldon I think that's a great idea - helps with
> > syslog DoS somewhat as well.  Anybody else care to contemplate
> > making it either a default or sysctl (ICMP_BANDLIMIT_DOSLIMIT?)
>=20
> In CURRENT, logging is conditional on a sysctl value; the message
> format is unchanged from that of STABLE, but logging can be turned off
> completely if desired.  This seems to keep most people happy.
>=20
> I don't think my preference (always seeing the messages, but having
> syslog coalesce them) is representative of the majority of folks to whom
> this matters.

Actually, what I would like would be a generic rate-limiting facility
in syslog(3) itself. That would make DOS much harder.

In particular, I got this idea from linux's ipchains (or another fw
product, i don't remember which) which allows rule logging to be
explicitly rate-limited.

That, IMHO, is much better that our logamount facility, which is
DOS-able easily, somehow. Just pour enough packets in and ipfw doesn't
log anything anymore. If we rate-limit this, with logamount=3D0, we have
a much better control.

A.

--=20
=46rom the age of uniformity, from the age of solitude, from the age of
Big Brother, from the age of doublethink - greetings!

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk

--qDbXVdCdHGoSgWSk--