Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 00:29:07 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A CDROM based firewall----Which Os do i use?

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 06:22:01PM -0500, Nathan Mace wrote:
> for those of you interested, what OS do you recommend as a good starting=
=20
> point for a bootable, CDROM based firewall.  seeing as how this is=20
> freebsd-chat the obvious choice would be Freebsd.  However seeing as a=20
> firewall needs to be secure as possible, wouldn't Openbsd make better sen=
se? =20

I don't really understand the mentality of "It's a firewall, so we
want it to be as secure as possible, so that means we should use
OpenBSD".  If you want to use some feature of OpenBSD then fine, but
the track record of OpenBSD with respect to remote holes is no better
than FreeBSD, if you actually look at it.  Until recently OpenBSD even
used the same firewall package which is included in FreeBSD (then they
rewrote it from scratch :-).  Since you're building a firewall, and
that means you have to configure it by hand according to your security
policy, you can make just as much of a security mess in either OS :-)

Kris

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu

--WIyZ46R2i8wDzkSu--