Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 1998 16:44:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   starting up the 3rd SCSI disk

I had problems previously with errors on my new scsi disk, but I finally
got past that, in taking a suggestion a couple people made, to use dd to
shoot zeroes all over the new disk.  wiped the errors fine.

When I did that, I realized I had one last funny thing going on, because
I'd done something strange during disklabeling, and it kept telling me
that the primary partition table was bad (NO MAGIC).  I realized I
hadn't even partitioned it at all, because (as I'd done before) I had no
intention whatsoever of ever running DOS/Windows on it, so I'd done no
partitioning.  Maybe it was complaining.

I reformatted the 4.3G SCSI disk, and then used the FreeBSD fdisk
program to stick a partition table in it.  I took the defaults for all,
which set partition 4 as the whole disk, and set it to use FreeBSD.  OK.

When I did that, it refused to disklabel, telling me there was no space.
If I don't do that, it does the disklabel, but always complains that the
partition table is bad (NO MAGIC).  Given a choice, I'd have no
partition table, but I can't see what I'm doing wrong.  I'd thought that
the correct procedure was:

1) scsiformat the disk
2) disklabel the disk, using the auto setup.
3) go back, disklabel using -e -r, so I could manually edit in the b
   (swap) and e partitions.
4) newfs the e partition
5) stick both partitions in /etc/fstab
6) begin file operations.

What did I miss, or what did I mess up, any guesses?

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).