Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 1998 13:07:16 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xntpd

On 10 Oct 98, at 18:02, David Kelly wrote:

> (moved to -questions)
>
> Jim Cassata writes:
> >
> > Is anyone using this or a better way to keep server clocks in sync? It
> > doesn't seem to do anything, 4 servers all running xntpd with a
> > /etc/ntp.conf (as per the man pages) as follows:
> >
> > server 128.173.14.71
> > driftfile /etc/ntp.drift
> >
> > and there is a writable driftfile that never gets written to. According
> > to the complete FreeBSD book, the driftfile's presence in the conf file
> > tells xntpd to get the time from the server, and it's absence tells it
> > to get the time from listening to ntp broadcasts.

I missed the original post.  Perhaps my website entry on time
synchronization will help.  See the URL below.

http://www.freebsddiary.com/freebsd/xntpd.htm

Are all four of your servers going to outside your subnet to talk to time
servers?  If they are all on the same net, from what I've read, only one
of them should be going outside to get synced.  The rest should sync from
that server.   This strategy will do two things:

1 - it lessens the traffic on the internet

2 - it makes all of your net synced from one place.  Which is handy if
there's a problem.  You know where to go.

Hope it helps.

--
Dan Langille
DVL Software Limited