Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 15:23:39 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Advice requested...

Folks,

	I'm still slogging through the manual, the FAQ, searching the
mailing lists, DejaNews, and posting to comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
for some answers or more information on the problems I'm having.

	Specifically, I think I might have two separate problems, or one
might be causing the other.

	The first problem is attempts to fdisk a particular device (da7,
in my case) cause the process to hang, hard.  It doesn't recognize
kill -9, and the only way to get the console back is to ssh in and
kill -9 the parent shell.

	I have some experience debugging SCSI problems, and I've ensured
that there are no SCSI id conflicts, as well as shortening the
cables, removing other devices from the chain, using external
termination in place of the existing auto-termination, changing the
Adaptec 2940UW card configuration to limit maximum attempted transfer
speeds to 10Mbps, etc....  I've got more detail I can share with you
if necessary, but I'm wondering if there might be a better place for
me to ask detailed questions about further debugging SCSI buses --
perhaps the freebsd-scsi mailing list?

	The second problem is that once I ignore the particular failing
device and try to create a vinum RAID-5 logical disk across the other
three similar devices (which seem to work okay -- fdisk works,
disklabel works, etc...), I get a kernel panic and crash dump.  I'm
wondering if I should try switching from 3.2-RELEASE (what I'm
currently running) and go to the latest snapshot of 3.2-STABLE,
3.2-RC, or perhaps even all the way to 4.0-CURRENT?

	Alternatively, if this problem is likely to be caused by the
failing device (even though I'm not including it in the attempted
configuration), then perhaps I should work out all the hardware
problems first, before I try working with vinum+RAID-5+softupdates?

	Thanks for any advice you may be able to provide!

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.