Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 21:14:49 +1000
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world issues

On Sat, Oct 16, 1999 at 12:50:09PM +0200, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> John Birrell wrote:
> >
> > I don't think that cross-compilation helps solve the bootstrap/upgrade
> > problem caused by the signal changes.
>
> I think it does. Please explain to me why you think cross-compilation
> doesn't solve bootstrapping/upgrading.

Because when cross-compiling, you don't execute anything that you
build for the target system.

By contrast, for the host build, you need to update things in bootstrap
order and then progessively execute the updated things in order to
complete the build. If you make a change (like the signal changes)
that isn't backward compatible, then you can't bootstrap properly
because you can't execute what you build.

You shouldn't blame the build process for it's inability to handle
the lack of backward compatibility in your code. We shouldn't allow
changes to libc that won't work with older kernels.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
               john.birrell@opendirectory.com.au