Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 18:45:54 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   timeval in if.h

I'm experimenting with NAT on a relatively -current 3.0 FreeBSD box and
in the course of compiling of ip_fil3.1.4 I see that every file
that includes <net/if.h> requires that <sys/time.h> to be included
before.

While this additional inclusion of <sys/time.h> isn't - besides of tedious
re-editing the ip_fil3.1.4 source - a big issue,   I wonder why
only FreeBSD seems to require this measure - ip_fil3.1.4 seems to be
very bsdish.

I also don't know what the policy of nested includes is - whether they
should be avoided like the pest or if for example and inclusion
of <sys/time> in if.h would be the better strategy than to
make sources that compile on so many BSD platforms without a hitch
have to have an additional __FreeBSD__ conditional just because of
this circumstance.