Date:      Fri, 11 Dec 1998 22:17:21 +1100
From:      Kevin Sheehan <kevin@planb.net.au>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'bsd'" <bsd@smmcroute.smmc.qld.edu.au>
Subject:   RE: Accelerated serial port support???

Keith Spencer writes:

>Hi all, I wish to purchase an ISDN TA. A trap is that for full speed from
>a 3com I need a very fast...faster than 16550 serial or some sort of
>accelerator card.
>Does anyone know of these beasties Is it a 16560 or a 16660 ??
>Better still, I was told drivers are hard to come by for FreeBSD.
>Is there support for any one of these gadgets.
>Thanks

Are you sure the TA you are buying has an async interface?  Usually it's only the low end TA's (aka "digital modems") that use async.  If you are talking about the standard Telstra issue 3com then it is async.  Even so you need only worry about going beyond the standard UART if you intend on running MPPP or similar to utilise both B channels, otherwise 115kbps should be fine.

Have you considered going for an internal card?

Rgs,

Kevin Sheehan
kevin@planb.net.au