Date:      Fri, 12 Jul 2019 14:44:29 +0200
From:      Domagoj =?UTF-8?Q?Smol=C4=8Di=C4=87?= <rank1seeker@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Jean-Pierre =?UTF-8?Q?Andr=C3=A9?= <jean-pierre.andre@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd@dussan.org, ntfs-3g-devel@lists.sf.net
Subject:   Re: mkntfs doesn't install NTFS's bootcode during formatting

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 12:11:32 +0200
Jean-Pierre Andr=C3=A9 <jean-pierre.andre@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> Domagoj Smol=C4=8Di=C4=87 wrote:
> > FreeBSD 11.2-RELEASE-p9
> >      fusefs-ntfs-2017.3.23
>  >
>  > When slice/partition is being formatted, bootcode(';  =20
> containsMicrosoft Windows XP/VISTA bootloader BOOTMGR') isn't
> applied, thus rendering it unbootable.
>  > Under Win, after 'bootsect /nt60 ...' has been used on NTFS
>  > created  =20
> with mkntfs, THEN it becomes bootable.

> This BOOTMGR bootcode is proprietary, and it depends on the
> targeted Windows version, hence mkntfs cannot insert it.
> However mkntfs creates the boot sector of the partition, which
> is part of the ntfs file system structure.

I believe you talk about volume boot record (VBR) being installed.
Yes, but it doesn't install it's part: volume boot code(VBC) whic targets B=
OOTMGR(stage 2)

> Nevertheless can you explain in what circumstances this would
> be useful. On several occasions, I have formatted an ntfs
> partition before installing Window 7 or Windows 10, and these
> installers insert the boot code they want without formatting
> the partition. I do not have XP or Vista any more, but I
> would be very surprised if they do not insert their own boot
> code as well (possibly while reformatting the partition).

Installers are out of scope here.
Goal is to start installer itself, residing on NTFS
I'm talking about lowest level of boot procedure, JUST after BIOS "hits" NT=
FS.

>  >
>  > When slice/partition is being formatted directly under Win,
>  > bootcode  =20
> IS also being applied.

> No, this is not done while formatting. The Windows formatting
> is limited, and the full formatting occurs when the partition
> is mounted the first time. So, when upgrading Windows, you can
> format with the old version before installing the new one.

You are wrong. I've tested it's presence with hex.
After mkntfs, I copy files(install procedure for Win7) and device won't boo=
t.
It does after after 'bootsect /nt60 ...' is executed under Win7. (anoying p=
art)

If I do ONLY formating under Win7, then plug it back into FreeBSD, copy men=
tioned files and boot decvice,
Win7 installation starts.

>  > So, if you need a bootable NTFS, why to bother in a first place
>  > with  =20
> mkntfs, then transferring device to Win machine and using command
> line under Win to run 'bootsect' tool, when you can simply click
> 'Format...' & Start?!?
> Can you explain what you want to boot into ?
>=20
> Jean-Pierre

I want to use ONLY FreeBSD to create custom bootable Win7 install media.
Only obstacle left is NTFS's stage 1 bootcode =3D> VBC.

I believe I've located it's position and size in slice (7k or 8k, can't rem=
ember)
So I'll attempt to extract it with dd tool and later apply it just after mk=
ntfs.
But then again, I believe (searching at a first glance) that this functiona=
lity exited and was removed because of a "proprietary issues".
So versions older than ntfs-3g-2016.2.22-2, should be used.
I believe it was about "ntfsprogs/boot.c".
Can anyone confirm this?

How about updating FreeBSD's license by keeping it BSD, but adding EXCEPTIO=
NS for Microsoft and other big corporations with same "proprietary issues".
In life, it is important to be equal in justice to each other.
If they claim it's ok and normal, just do the same to them. If they complai=
n ... everything is clear. ;)

Domagoj Smol=C4=8Di=C4=87