Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 13:18:12 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        imp@rover.village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I am contemplating the following change...

Warner Losh stands accused of saying:

> Looking at the driver, the following chipsets seem to support auto
> detection of interrupts.  I've some patches that I'll test tonight to
> see if I can add a sanity check when things aren't the same.  I may
> have missed some in some of the other code paths.
>
> 	WD8003W
> 	WD8003EB
> 	WD8013W
> 	WD8013EP
> 	WD8013WC
> 	WD8013EPC
> 	WD8013EBP
> 	SMC8216T
> 	SMC8216C
> 	SMC8216BT
>
> I don't know how many cards this covers, but it does look to be a fair
> number.  There is code in the ed driver now to autoconfig the
> interrupt on these cards.  There is not code to detect that you've set
> an interrupt incorrectly (which looked like 3 lines to add in two
> places, add another 10 lines for tables needed for good error
> reporting).  I think that this would be a worthwhile addition to the
> kernel, assuming that it proves to be correct.

You are omitting the 3c503, which is also soft-set.  Unfortunately,
you don't cover any of the NE2000 clones above, and "real" SMC
compatibles are actually fairly rare.

What is needed is an interrupt probe similar to that used in the sio
driver which performs a generic 8390 interrupt-generating activity
(eg. a loopback operation) which can be applied to _all_ cards.

Have a look at the application notes at
http://www.national.com/pf/DP/DP83905.html, particulary this one :

 AN-937: Loopback Diagnostics Using the DP8390/901/902/905