Date:      02 Aug 2001 17:08:32 -0400
From:      stanislav shalunov <shalunov@internet2.edu>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP problems with large window sizes on FreeBSD (GigaTCP)

stanislav shalunov <shalunov@internet2.edu> writes:

> I'll try increasing the value of TI_JSLOTS to 8192 (twice the number
> of 4K packets in 16MB window) and see if it makes a difference.

FWIW, this seems to have improved the situation and the burst loss
doesn't happen anymore.  For those who might care to look at the new
numbers, see http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/gigatcp/

There seems to be a problem with the ti driver in that it doesn't
recover from the situation of jumbo slots shortage right away after
supply of packets is removed, as one would expect it to.  The
condition lingers for a long time afterwards.  It seems to recover
eventually, but after quite different time for diffirent conditions:
sometimes it's seconds, sometimes it's minutes.  The "slow" case
appears to be an example of fast periodic recovery, while in the
"stalled" case the recovery doesn't happen until the TCP connection
times out.

--
Stanislav Shalunov		http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I
approved of it."				-- Mark Twain