Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 19:15:13 +0000
From:      Alan Judge <Alan.Judge@indigo.ie>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        jk@cais.com
Subject:   Re: Help w/ SCSI Tape drives/Backup solution

We're running amanda to back up a mix of machine types (mostly
FreeBSD, some SunOS, and a NetApp filer).  About 70 partitions across
15-20 machines.  All of this backs up via a holding disk to one
DLT7000.  (The holding disk needs to be stripped to get the transfer
rates high enough to keep a DLT7K busy!)  Amanda automatically
schedules full and incremental dumps, but we regularly see 35-40GB put
to tape in one night.

The network is a mix of 10MB (Suns) and 100MB (FreeBSD boxes and the
filer).  Load hasn't been an issue yet.  Amanda will do dumps in
parallel to keep things flowing from the slower machines.

Works perfectly.  Best backup system I've ever used.  One tape swap a day.
--
Alan Judge					Phone: +353-1-6046901
Indigo Internet Services			Fax:   +353-1-6046948