Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:01:09 -0600
From:      Erik Moe <emoe@mmcable.com>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making audio CDs with FreeBSD

"Søren Schmidt" wrote:

> It seems Erik Moe wrote:
> > Here is the command I use to do the ripping:
> >
> > cdda2wav -D0,1,0 -B -Oraw
> >
> > I think that the rip is successful since I have used sox to play the
> > audio:
> >
> > play -t cdr audio_01.raw
> >
> > Now I burn the disk:
> >
> > burncd -f /dev/acd0c -S 4 audio audio_??.raw fixate
> >
> > Generates 12 tracks of static.  I thought that it may have something to
> > do with the endianess of the input file so I tried another rip:
> >
> > cdda2wav -D0,1,0 -B -Oraw -C guess -E big
>
> I dont know how to do the SCSI rip, but I know how it works on ATA :)
>
> Rip the CD in the burner:
>
> control -f acd0 info
>
> that tells (amongst other things) you how many tracks you need to rip, then
>
> for f in  1 2 3 ... (number for tracks)
> do
>         dd if=/dev/acd0t$f of=track$f.raw bs=2352
> done
>
> then put a blank CDR in the burner and do
>
> in -stable or -current for TAO mode:
>
> burncd -s 4 -f /dev/acd0c audio track*.raw fixate
>
> or in -current in DAO mode:
>
> burncd -s 4 -f /dev/acd0c -d audio track*.raw
>
> -Søren

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-multimedia" in the body of the message

Yes, that definitely worked, of course you should know :).  Wasn't aware
that those device files existed.  In fact, they didn't exist on my
system until I did a "MAKEDEV acd0t32".  Which brings me to my next
question, what is the difference between acd0a and acd0c?  I know that
historically the "a" partition was the root partition and "c"
represented the entire drive, but what do they represent in the context
of a CD-ROM?  At one time in FreeBSD's history I remember reading a man
page that described the difference.  Thought it had to do with the
locking mechanism of the tray, using one device locked the tray, the
other didn't.

Thanks,
Erik Moe
emoe@mmcable.com