Date:      Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:05:30 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RealPlayer G2 for Linux: Initial Report

Amancio Hasty wrote:

> > Yes, that would be nice. It certainly helps to make FreeBSD noticed on
> > the desktop playground. Hmm, it makes me wonder what the outcome was of
> > the `design a FreeBSD desktop' contest Jordan organized...
>
> Thats somewhat of a long story . Basically the apps people rather get pay to do apps
> however since there are no so many kernel positions and it is  fun, hackers tend
> to hack on kernel and related subsystems, linkers, compilers , etc.. everything
> but apps.

Ah, the same as with docs :-)

It's a pity, because you can write the perfect kernel, but without apps
it's basicly useless. The same holds for docs: A piece of software that
is properly documented is likely to be used more than one that isn't.

> Conclusion: By cultural choice the availability of  applications on Unix is a joke .

Luckily that's changing. With office-suits and financial packages Unix
can be used in the office much more frequent than before. I think that's
where the switch-over is going to happen first...

> Last but not least ,  your work on emulation is most appreciated!!

Thanks, I'll do my best. I'm sidetracked by the sigset_t change, but I
hope to get on with it soon. With luck we may have a Linuxulator on the
Alpha before 4.0 gets released...

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/