Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:37:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        pmahan@adaranet.com
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Now partially booting on our CN58XX eval board

In message: <4C77EB9F.4020705@adaranet.com>
            Patrick Mahan <pmahan@adaranet.com> writes:
: We have it now starting to boot on our eval board with the 1.8.1 SDK
: bootloader.
:
: It panic's on a bad address during a device attach, perhaps in the
: ethernet driver setup?  I am attaching the output from the console
: below.
:
: I do see in the console output
:
:   'Octeon SDK: Cavium Networks Octeon SDK version 1.9.0, build 312'
:
: Which I am assuming is the cavium SDK pieces being included as part of
: the mips kernel.

That's right.  This is the cnusers.org SDK that we've included in the
kernel.

: Warner, is this what you would see on happen on under 1.8.1?

No.  I have older uboot systems, and they refuse to properly load the
kernel.  see below...

: I am attaching (again) my kernel config.  Is anything else needed?
:
: Patrick
: Adara Networks

[trimmed]
: octebus0: [FILTER]
: Interface 1 has 4 ports (RGMII)
: panic: cvmx_phys_to_ptr: mapping high address (0x2090a880) not yet
: supported.

I am seeing this when I boot a 32-bit kernel on two of the three
boards I have access to (both of them, btw, have older uboot loaders
on them).

The problem here is that cvmx_phys_to_ptr only supports direct
mapping, so we can only use the first 512MB of memory.  Juli and I
have talked about clamping the available memory to using only the
first 512MB on 32-bit kernels, but we don't like this idea and are
casting about for others.

The 64-bit kernel doesn't suffer this limitation.

Warner