Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 1999 11:02:30 -0500
From:      "Pedro Fernando Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Targeting the server: Not such a good idea?

We have good people, and they are working on what they do best. If we
wanted to do intensive client side work, then we would have to find
*other* people to do it because AFAIK our hands are full.

Throwing away money and resources to the client is a nonsense. Have you
installed linux on a laptop? Do you really think that other platforms
(Redhat, for example) with much more resources than we have will
actually displace M$ ? If this happens, which I sincerely doubt, it will
be in many years. Unix is not meant for simple minded users.

OTOH, all the efforts that RH and other companies are doing to improve X
translate directly to us. We have the opportunity to see how they fall
(GGI for example) and redo things better .

Quite honestly Brett, I think you could better try to convince Corel,
Oracle, IBM, and SGI that FreeBSD is the way to go for their server
products. There's nothing that people on this list can do to improve our
client positioning.

cheers,

     Pedro.