Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 16:12:15 +0900
From:      SHUDO Kazuyuki <shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp>
To:        Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JITs for FreeBSD (was Re: somewhat new to java questions)

Peter van Heusden wrote:

> So JITs don't seem to be a problem at the moment - its just a pity the
> Java 1.2 HotSpot compiler looks like it will remain proprietary. The
> concepts behind HotSpot seem very interesting.

I understand that HotSpot is the name Sun calls some
techniques. Adaptive compilation which is one of
elements of HotSpot can be implemented by someone other
than Sun. It may have been already implemented in JITs
by Symantec or Microsoft.

I don't know whether HotSpot includes some patents or not.
It might include patents Sun bought from HP, I can't remember accurately.

Kazuyuki SHUDO				Happy Hacking!
  Muraoka Lab., Grad. School of Sci. & Eng., Waseda Univ.