Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 23:01:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        Tim <tim@futuresouth.com>
Subject:   Re: Exabyte EXB-210 tape changer

Tim <tim@futuresouth.com> wrote:

> Does anybody have an Exabyte EXB-210 tape changer working with
> FreeBSD 4.x?

I once had an EXB-220 at a FreeBSD system in order to verify it's
functionality, before it eventually moved to a Sun running
Legato^WSolstice Backup.

> I get the following with chio.  It doesn't look like chio.c or
> scsi_ch.c has been changed recently so I don't think updating the OS
> would help.

> ch0: 7 slots, 1 drive, 1 picker, 0 portals
> (ch0:ahc0:0:0:0): MOVE MEDIUM. CDB: a5 0 0 56 0 52 0 1 0 0 0 0
> (ch0:ahc0:0:0:0): NOT READY asc:4,8e
> (ch0:ahc0:0:0:0): Vendor Specific ASCQ

Well, go to the vendor, and ask for their specific ASCQ. ;-)

The SCSI reference is available for download at Exabyte, and it tells
at page D-1:

[...] Table D-1 lists Not Ready (2h) error conditions.

ASC       ASCQ
(byte 12) (byte 13) Description

04h       01h       The library is performing an initialization after
                    a reset or the door was closed.

          83h       The front door is open.

          84h       The library is executing ROM boot code and cannot
                    execute the command.

          89h       The library is in serial port mode.

          8Dh       The library is in LCD Interface mode.

          8Eh       The library is in sequential mode.

Table D-1 ASC and ASCQ values for the Not Ready (2h) sense key

So it seems you have configured your library to accept medium changer
commands along the serial port (as opposed to SCSI commands).

Don't feel bad, it once hit me likewise, but my library has been in
LCD interface mode.  That's been the reason for me to download the
manual. :)