Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:34:43 -0700
From:      Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>
To:        Akenner <SlackWareWolf@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Steps to upgrade from 7.0-RELEASE to 7.1-RELEASE

Akenner wrote:
> RW wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 05:07:46 -0700
>> Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Nothing really beats the CVS way.  And when I tried a 7.0 to a 7.1,
>>> it wanted like >30,000 updates and was taking forever.
>>>

>> It seems to me that most people that come to this list with base-system
>> update problems are using  freebsd-update.
>>

> This is going to seem stupid, but instead of making a new topic, can
> someone link to me a working link of the handbook where you update your
> CVS and so on?  I know that on the FreeBSD page there is a handbook that
> has exactly what I'm looking for, and for some reason I'm having trouble
> finding it even though I used to have it saved but I don't anymore and I
> wanted to get CVS sources updated so I can do some updating.
>
> Thanks

csup -g -L 1 -h cvs#.cc.freebsd.org
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile

i.e: cvs17.us.freebsd.org

This will update to your uname -r latest patchlevel.  Copy and replace
(for you): RELENG_7_0 with RELENG_7_1 to get the latest patchlevel for 7.1

Original doc seems either replaced by the freebsd-update method (while
excellent, there are a few things that CVS really triumphs on).

csup is part of base.

I'd be glad to help you through.  The canonical update method is still
listed in the handbook (SS. 24.7.1) used after retrieving the sources.

--Tim