Date:      19 Mar 1999 15:57:34 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
To:        Stavros Patiniotis <stavros@esc.net.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Installing 3.1 #2

Stavros Patiniotis <stavros@esc.net.au> writes:

> I can't actually get to LINT, since my computer won't boot :(
>
> Any other suggestions?

Is the partition on which FreeBSD resides marked as ``active'' in MBR?
``Missing operating system'' may indicate that ``active'' flag is set
to an empty/unused partition or is not set at all.

You can try booting from the installation diskettes, go to the Fixit
option, choose Floppy option, switch to the Fixit shell prompt
(Alt-F4) and type

	fdisk da0

(or whatever is the disk you installed FreeBSD on) to see the layout
of partitions.  Flag 80 (active) is what you are looking for.

If I guessed your problem correctly, you can fix it by using

	fdisk -a da0

and answering correctly to the questions the program will ask.

Hope this helps,

--
Anton Berezin <tobez@plab.ku.dk>
The Protein Laboratory, University of Copenhagen