Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 06:59:09 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, <freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libdisk Makefile chunk.c write_alpha_disk.c write_i386_disk.c write_pc98_disk.c

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Mark Valentine wrote:
>
> > The GEOM naming scheme therefore removes my ability to specify the partition
> > in the most natural way for this platform.
> I dispute that.
> The install code has been using ad0s1a for about 5 years I think.
> Very few systems have ad0a in /etc/fstab as we specifically have been
> telling people to not do that for ages..

I haven't been using the install code for about 10 years now :-).

> Anyway I had a machine where the -current root partition was ad1s4e.
> How does the old scheme help me? ad1s3 was also a BSD slice (FBSD3.x)

Run fdisk to temporarily change ad1s3 to non-BSD.  ad0[a-h] in /etc/fstab
for the s4 slice then starts referring to that slice.  I have used
this to boot backups of partitions (cp /dev/ad0s3 /dev/ad0s4; this
invalidates any s3 numbers in the copy of /etc/fstab on the s4 slice,
so booting the s4 partition later doesn't work if there are any such
numbers, but everything works perfectlyf ad[0-h] is used.  At least
with my versions of the boot blocks.  The switch to using sN in fstab
started with changing the boot blocks to pass sN in an incompatible
way; I had already fixed the boot blocks in a compatible way and didn't
like this or most subsequent changes in this area so I didn't use them.

> One scheme I played with was:
> /dev/ad0/whole
> /dev/ad0/s1
> /dev/ad0/s1/a
> /dev/ad0/bsd0 --> s1
> /dev/ad0/s1/whole
> /dev/ad0/s2
> /dev/ad0/s2/whole
> /dev/ad0/s3
> /dev/ad0/s3/whole
> /dev/ad0/s4
> /dev/ad0/s4/whole
>
> so that /dev/ad0/bsd0/a would always be the root
> but I don't know if the new devfs can do that..
>
> This had a lot of advantages but blew POLA right out the window :-)

Encoding the disk structure in the directory tree would be another mistake.
Fotrunately this mistake has already been made, so we know not to repeat
it.

Bruce