Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 15:25:59 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>
Cc:        Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Caldera & why we should get Linux compat working 100%

> [thread xfer'ed to chat]

> 	popular ??

It's also wrong.  UNIX has LOST the desktop race!  Lost lost lost!
It's gone, over, kaput, too late, write your mother and say you're
coming home in defeat! :-)

Bringing word perfect and Excel to Linux will mean that those Linux
users who have a need for such tools won't have to run Windows, and
that is fine, but it won't attract NEW users who have a need for those
tools alone.  I mean let's face it - Windows is effectively "free"
since anybody can buy the "OEM version" in a computer store for about
$30 (even less now that '95 is out and all those millions of copies of
3.1 are next to worthless - 3.1 is just fine for running Word and
excel, remember!), so if all you want to run are those apps and
perhaps the occasional copy of "access" or "NOTES" then Windows
remains, hands down, your best bet.  Why sweat through the pain of
learning Linux administration when all you want is to be able to write
your reports in Word?

I think the caldera folks have misjudged the market.  Oh sure, they'll
be a "success" because the Linux market is big enough now that lots of
folks will jump in just for the sake of it, but they won't be keeping
Bill Gates up at night at all.

						Jordan