Date:      Mon, 18 Feb 2008 11:13:56 -0600
From:      "Jeremy Messenger" <mezz7@cox.net>
To:        "Yoshihiro Ota" <ota@j.email.ne.jp>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, Atanas Gendov <atanas.gendov@gmail.com>, oscartheduck@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Problems with icu - 3.8

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 20:28:57 -0600, Yoshihiro Ota <ota@j.email.ne.jp>
wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2008 14:23:37 -0700
> James <oscartheduck@gmail.com> wrote:

>> some
>> from icu
>> have depends
>> >
>> > Lots of people are getting bitten by the effects of the bump in the
>> > libicu* shlib ABI version numbers -- there really should be a note
>> > in UPDATING about it.  It affects all sorts of different packages --
>> > I've even got one system where it took out OpenLDAP.
>>
>> Do you know who to ask for the note? I was bitten by it, but
>> fortunately there
>> had just been a large thread in questions@ about it. It does seem to be
>> common issue.
>>
>> James
>

> Why are so many people are bitten by this?  Is that the jobs of
> port-upgrading
> tool to safe copy these libraries to compat so that all programs using
> the old libraries works?

Backup the old libraries aren't right solution, anyway. The right solution
is to add in UPDATING to tell users to rebuild all of ports that depend on
icu. Read all follow up in
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/cvs-ports/2008-February/142107.html ..

Cheers,
Mezz

--
mezz7@cox.net  -  mezz@FreeBSD.org
FreeBSD GNOME Team  -  FreeBSD Multimedia Hat (ports, not src)