Date:      Thu, 23 Jun 2005 16:10:50 +0100
From:      "cali" <calculus@softhome.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Newbie - Trouble Installing Gnome2

>            Attempting to fetch from
> ftp://ftp-FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/ghostscript/.
>            fetch: ghostscripts-fonts-std-8.11.tar.gz: local modification
> does not match remote
>            => Couldn't find it - please try to retrieve this
>            => port manually in /usr/ports/distfiles/ghostscript and try
> again.

>            ...so, what happened?

I did a search on google for the line "local modification does not match
remote", one of the responses was from the freebsd-questions mailing list

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-December/030315.html

the end result was

>On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 11:28, Michael A. Alestock wrote:
>> fetch: cvsup-snap-16.1h.tar.gz: local modification time does not match
>> remote
>Either

>a) Remove file from /usr/ports/distfiles and try again

>or

>b) Fetch file manually into /usr/ports/distfiles

>... in addition to (if checksum announced in ports is wrong, which
>sometimes happen) possibly either a) making new checksum with `make
>makesum` or b) remove distinfo file.

>HTH

So the idea is that the remote file failed to match some security criteria
so it was not downloaded, the resolution is explained correctly by the
response from HTH repeated above for your convenience.

Google also returned:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-June/089503.html

So in the future, I suggest, looking on the mailing list archive first
because you might find the answer to your question there.

Cali