Date:      Fri, 05 May 2000 00:50:07 +0000
From:      Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios <kernel@tdnet.com.br>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: low cost consultant (?)

Brennan W Stehling wrote:

> Yes, I have heard the argument that FreeBSD is a developers OS and that
> sound and multimedia are only secondary concerns, but that does not mean
> users should suffer.  In fact, the FreeBSD project should embrace users
> and help them in as many ways as possible in hopes that the user base will
> grow.

Why do you think having a big user base is good ?
Better yet: Good for whom?

> Why does Sun officially support a JDK for Linux and not FreeBSD?  It is
> pure numbers.  If there were more people using FreeBSD as a user machine
> and as a development machine Sun and other companies would take notice and
> start supporting FreeBSD.  It comes back to help the developers.

*BSD is not a desktop OS (i hope the core team keep trying to get the
best possible OS for the server, not the desktop).

The main questions is: does having dozens of user makes a OS better? I
think no.
Windows have million of user! Is it better that UNIX? I don't really
have a answer for that, but i would not enjoy seeing BSD change its
focus!

> It is inevitable that FreeBSD will become popular along with Linux because
> it is a solid system.  It uses advanced technology to do things other
> systems cannot, but while it does great things as a server, it can also do
> the simple things like autodetect video and audio so that setup is much
> easier.

Do you wanna do something very well? Keep your self focused in ONLY one
thing! DONT try to do everytinhg for every one. MS tries to write the
best OS for every one! It's clear impossible! Each kind of user have
different kind of needs. If your are developing a software, try not to
lose your focus (this is requirement for success: DONT try to please
every one, never).

> It is so easy to set up most things in FreeBSD but video and audio are
> still difficult.  Installing most of the recent Linux distros allows the
> video and audio to be configured automatically.  The FreeBSD project does
> not have to create userland applications beyond getting the multimedia
> systems working because projects like Gnome and KDE are doing really well
> in that regard.  It would be nice if FreeBSD/BSDi just met them halfway.

Setting up things in *BSD is easy, really easier than linux.
When you have automatically actions perfomed, you are in the risk of
having some thing performed that's not what you want (Do you know the
PNP (Plug-And-Pray) devices? I personally dont like than).
I like BSD, cause it does not try to guess what i want to do. I have to
tell it what have to be done. It's a great thing, i am in the control,
Not the OS.

> (It is regretful these things are becoming so commercial)

I don't like the approach Linux is having know. I stopped using it since
think started getting too crazy.
People do not see that linux is just a kernel, that's why there is so
many different environments.

> And if FreeBSD does not tackle these user concerns seriously, what is
> going to stop someone from using FreeBSD and go to Darwin or MacOS X which
> is based on FreeBSD 3.2 but yet will support rich multimedia?  What
> happens when FreeBSD loses it's user base instead of growing it?
>
> FreeBSD needs users to stay strong.

No, it DOES not! All it does is "knownledgeable" (sorry for this word, i
have no a good english. but i think you can see what i meant) user,
i.e., ones with experience on programming, networks, etc...
Remenber, FreeBSD employs the slogan "The Power to server" the "Where to
want to go today" or "The beautyfull GUI to smart users" or things like
that.

These are MHO, not necessary the truth (once i have no a GREAT
experience with Free), so please, don't take me wrong.

[]'s

--
"Sometimes I worry about being a success in a mediocre world."
		-- Lily Tomlin