Date:      Sun, 29 May 2016 22:35:33 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 2 config files not installed from recent 11-current snapshot

--XIiC+We3v3zHqZ6Z

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 12:30:05AM +0200, Ben Woods wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>=20
> I recently reinstalled my FreeBSD laptop using a 11-current snapshot from
> the end of April.
>=20
> Today I noticed that 2 cofiguration files were not install in the system:
> /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
> /etc/dma/dma.conf
>=20
> I have done 2 PkgBase upgrades since then (with an etcupdate run also aft=
er
> each upgrade), but PkgBase shouldn't have touched these files since config
> files are not included in packages yet.
>=20
> Given that FreeBSD 11 is nearing release, it might be worth double checki=
ng
> that this isn't a problem on the latest 11 snapshots (those 2 files are on
> the system after the installer is run). I would check myself, but am
> travelling and don't have the resources, sorry.
>=20

FWIW, the 11.0 snapshots do not use the pkgbase stuff for anything.

The problem here, I *think*, is that dma.conf is part of the FreeBSD-dma
package.  This is primarily the underlying issue with everything else in
/etc - for pkgbase, they are handled by "install*" targets, but the
tools used to merge these files (etcupdate(8) and mergemaster(8)) deal
with files handled by the "distrib*" targets ('make distribution').

I'm not sure why ppp.conf wasn't installed though.  I'll look into this.

Thank you for the report.

Glen

--XIiC+We3v3zHqZ6Z

--XIiC+We3v3zHqZ6Z--